Tales of a Wookie Wife: Fueled by caffeine and good intentions. Feed hairy man. Clean house. Be fabulous. Repeat. You can learn more about me here.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stove Top Pork Roast with Vegetables

First off, by "stove top" I mean, you cook it on top of the stove, so no heart attacks, there won't be any stuffing mix creeping up on you.  I haven't been posting remotely as many recipes as I should lately, but either non-recipe-friendly things are what has been on sale or I've just flat forgotten to take pictures.  Like last night when I made a KILLER roasted loaded baked potato soup.   *sigh*


First stop, pork.  This is pork for carnitas and its 2.6-something pounds, but it was pretty fatty so some ended up coming out.  I don't usually buy meats marked "roast" when I make soups, stews, and roasts as generally they are just over-priced and I can make something just as good with a cheaper cut.

Plop your meat of choice into the water (about a gallon or so is in there) with a little pepper, salt, and a few bay leaves and let it boil.  And boil.  And boil.  Add more water as you need it.  And keep boiling until it falls apart.


Once its falling apart, turn the heat down to medium and remove the bay leaves and any fatty, unsavory pieces and scoop any excess grease or anything else unappetizing that floats to the top off. 


Then, add one large chopped onion.


Four or five large potatoes...I like my vegetable chops to be quite large in a roast/stew concoction. Always remember, potatoes taste way better with the skins on, just give them a good scrub first.  For every potato you skin, a baby koala goes bald.  Just think of them out there cold and defenseless and put down the vegetable peeler.  In the trash.


1/2 a bag each, so about 8 ounces each of carrots and green beans, feel free to substitute fresh.





Four or five chopped celery stalks...



...Toss it all in the pot and let it cook until the potatoes are soft, then add salt and pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon of thyme, 2 teaspoons of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, and turn it down to a simmer for about 20 minutes.  You may notice that's not even half my usual massive lineup of spices, but with this being the first roast of the season for us, I wanted something a bit lighter that would really let the flavor of the meat and vegetables stand out.


That's all there is to it!  This made between 8 and 10 large bowls, so cooking something like this will last for days!

<3
WookieWifey




1 comment:

  1. OMG! That looks f'ing amazing! I bet that must've been a Tunguska in terms of flavorful awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete