Tales of a Wookie Wife: Fueled by caffeine and good intentions. Feed hairy man. Clean house. Be fabulous. Repeat. You can learn more about me here.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Wooo, I'm back to typing-able for the least.  That one-handed typing shit is for the birds, man.  I'm still having to take it easy, so I apologize if the posts seem short or boring!

Lots more posts coming up.  I had so many planned then...yeah.  My accident-prone life.

So here's the recipe I was supposed to post over a week ago!  >.<  I originally found the idea here, but it is very heavily modified.


First, bust out the crock pot.  Put in 4 chicken thighs, defrosting optional, a half cup of water, about 1/4 cup of salsa, and a packet of taco or fajita seasoning or your own blend.  I usually just dump in salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic, basil, onion powder, cilantro, and a bit of cayenne until it tastes right, but I was feeling lazy, so I just used a packet this time.  Put the lid on, crank it up to high, and let it go for about 4-5 hours.


It should be about falling off of the bone.  Remove it to cool and turn the crock pot to warm.


While the chicken is cooling, you should make the salsa.  I put in 1 can of sweet corn, drained, 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed, 1/2 tbsp of cilantro (fresh is best but dried will do), 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 small purple onion, 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes.  Mix it all up, cover it, and pop it in the fridge.


Once the chicken has cooled enough to handle, remove the bones, shred the meat, and spoon in some of the sauce left in the crock pot until all the meat is nicely coated.  Pour the left over sauce out of the crock pot and put the chicken back in to keep warm until it is ready to layer.

(not pictured)
Warm up a can of refried beans in a sauce pan and season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic, chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.  I used about 1/2 tsp of each.


Add enough oil to a skillet to cover about 1/4 inch or so and let it get nice and hot.  Fry up the flour tortillas until crispy.  I use the small taquito-sized ones and this recipe made 8 tostadas feeding 4 people.


Spread a layer of refried beans on a fried tortilla.  Add a layer of chicken, a layer of shredded cheese, and some of the salsa, and whatever other toppings you prefer.  I also had guacamole and salsa on mine and these were so delicious.  This is a recipe I'll be making again!

<3
WW

2 comments:

  1. happy to see you are feeling a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! Not being able to use your dominant hand SUCKS!

      Delete