Tales of a Wookie Wife: Fueled by caffeine and good intentions. Feed hairy man. Clean house. Be fabulous. Repeat. You can learn more about me here.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Breakfast Burritos!....and an epic fail

Once in a blue moon, we decide to do breakfast-for-dinner week around the house.  We only go grocery shopping once a week, so when inspiration REFUSES to strike (or money is uber tight and we're sick of ground beef), I just take the easy way out and we have breakfast week.

This time, I decided to have some fun with it and consulted a bunch of friends/readers on a forum to see what they'd like to see posted with the ingredients I had and I got some great suggestions, including crepes, which I plan to try my hand at for the first time in a few days.

This go, I settled on breakfast burritos, which had been requested.  The Wookie asked for a sandwich instead and wanted his eggs over-easy.  Well, I've never done that before.  I don't care for runny eggs, but for him, I gave it a shot.  It ended in me screaming obscenities, but we'll get to that later.



For starters, I put two eggs in a bowl and stirred them up with milk and seasoned salt for the burritos.  Yes, I do make a massive mess every time I cook.  It is part of the fun.  :)


Then, get the bacon frying.  Also, the sausage if your significant other has requested something different.


Scramble up the eggs....


Now, for breakfast burritos, I like the cheese to be all melty, so I toss it in with the eggs as soon as they are done cooking and give it a good stir.


Add the bacon to some warm tortillas...


...then add the eggs, and roll 'em up.  You can add salsa at this point if you'd like, but I prefer my salsa to stay cold, so I like it on the side.  You can tuck the ends if you prefer, but it isn't necessary.


Nom.  Now, these are super easy to store in the fridge for a few days to reheat for a quick microwave-friendly breakfast.  The trick is to let them cool on the counter for about 30 minutes or until they are room temperature.  Once that is done, you wrap them in wax paper, then tightly in saran wrap.  When you need a quick breakfast, just pop one in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and you're good to go!  I'd love to tell you how long these keep for, but they've never lasted more than 2 days here...

Now, on to the fail!

Me, being the genius I am, thought "well, I can make eggs over hard with about a 90% success rate, so I don't need to look up no stinkin' instructions!"

I was wrong.  So, so wrong.


For starters, eggs are the one thing I just can NOT seem to be able to cook in cast iron.  Seeing as how the only other skillet-like object I own was the crepe pan full of bacon and sausage, I figured a nonstick saucepan would do the trick.  First mistake.

I cracked the egg in over medium heat, and the butter was all caramelize-y and it looked like things were going well!  It was time to - if I may borrow from Julia Child - gather the courage of my convictions and flip it over.  Turns out, I'd have had more success flipping it off.


Well, shit.

He wanted two eggs on his sandwich and the second one ended up just as bad.

Now, let me just clear something up here...When I fail at cooking something, particularly something simple, I get extremely frustrated and disappointed in myself and begin doing things like grumbling and shouting "fuck" a lot.  This was only exacerbated by the fact that, by not looking it up, I completely did this to myself.  The stream of profanity pouring out of my kitchen was enough to make even the most hardened of sailors blush.  I'm not exactly sure where I went wrong, or in how many different ways, but I plan to try again one day...When I have a proper egg skillet or griddle.

<3
WW

4 comments:

  1. Do you actually try to flip the egg? I use a spatula
    When my dad fried eggs, he used to spoon hot grease over the top of them to get a skin on the top of the yolk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very sad part is I DID use a spatula. I think part of the problem was the high sides of the saucepan, I had hell getting it under there, but even after I did, the flip was obviously unsuccessful. >.<

      I like the fried egg idea, though, I'll have to try that one!

      Delete
  2. Eggs are evil to try to cook. Simple as that. I just aim for "not charcoal" and whoever gets em should be happy with that =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete